Skip to main content



Financial Aid

Higher Education. Lower Tuition.

With as little as one credit hour you may qualify for financial aid. Complete an application to determine eligibility.

Application Process

Starting your educational journey doesn't have to be difficult. Here's what you need to get started.

Types of aid

Paying for school is one of the most common fears for attending school. We are here to help.

Funding for Veterans

Get assistance applying, certification, and other VA Benefits.

  • 2024 Fall Registration

    Registration for the fall 2024 semester is open NOW through August 1, 2024. Payment for fall classes is due by August 1st at 5 p.m. If you are using financial aid to pay for your classes, your  2024-2025 FAFSA  must be complete by this date in order to prevent losing your registered courses. (Final registration for fall will be August 21st with payment being due the same day or your financial aid must be complete and in place.) Each student must renew their FAFSA for the fall.

    Please allow 1-2 weeks processing time for your FAFSA results to be available in Patriot Port once your file is complete. Also, please ensure you have completed your Admissions application and NC Residency if you are a new student.

    Complete your FAFSA Apply for Financial Aid New Students: Complete your NC Residency

  • Financial Aid Check Information

    Financial Aid Checks will be mailed to the address on file or available via Direct Deposit (if you have signed up for this service) on the published financial aid disbursement date each semester. If you are receiving a Financial Aid Refund and would like to sign up for Direct Deposit, please make sure to complete this process in your Patriot Port Account.  Direct Deposits should be in your account on the date of the Financial Aid Disbursement.  Please remember to update your address or sign up at least two weeks before the published financial aid disbursements.  Please check your Patriot Port Account for Deadlines to sign up for or change your Direct Deposit information.  If you have any questions about how to sign-up for Direct Deposit please contact the Business Office by phone 828-395-1298, e-mail, or stop by in-person.  Click here for more information about Direct Deposit.

    To review your address on file:

    • Log into Patriot Port
    • Click on the username at the top (the first portion of your email or account login)
    • Click on User Profile

    If your address is incorrect, send an email from your Isothermal email account to to have it updated.


  • Common Questions

    How to apply for institutional scholarships?

    Institutional scholarships application

    Powers Promise Scholarship information


    What if a student or student’s parent’s financial circumstances have changed since the tax return associated with the FAFSA? 

    (for dependent students only) A student may request a Professional Judgement if they or their family’s financial situation has changed significantly due to job loss, divorce/separation, loss of untaxed income, etc. 

    The Professional Judgement form can be requested at: or, picked up a copy in the Student Services Center.

    A student can request to have their dependency status reviewed under extreme cases of physical/emotional abuse or abandonment. The Dependency Override form may be requested in Student Services Center or by email at 

    Is financial aid available for the summer term at ICC?

    Yes, in most cases. You may have some aid left from the previous semesters if you were part-time. 

    If enrolled full-time during fall and spring semesters, you may qualify for another 50% of your total award if you take at least 6 credit hours in the summer. 

    Always check with the Financial Aid office to see if you qualify for this additional award. Powers Promise scholarships are offered for the summer semester. 

    North Carolina state grants are not awarded for the summer semester.

    Is there a limit for developmental courses? 

    Yes. You may receive financial aid for up to 30 credit hours of developmental coursework. 

    When registered for courses how can I make sure my courses are required for my program of study? 

    You can view registered courses that fall outside of your program of study through Self-Service in Patriot Port, contact your academic advisor, or meet with a member of the Student Services or Advising and Success Center teams. 

    The financial aid procedure for reviewing/notifying of courses not in major is always processed at the start of each semester. Notices are sent to the student and their advisor. 

    Please make sure that you have a current program of study and check it in Patriot Port for that semester. If you have questions, contact your advisor and/or Student Services. 

    Is there a lifetime limit to receiving federal and state financial aid?

    Yes, if eligible, you are able to receive a Federal Pell Grant for six years of full-time enrollment, which is often referred to “600%” (100% of Pell/year x 6 years). Actual calculations are based on credits enrolled/semester and may equate to more than six years if enrolled part-time. Also, ask your Financial Aid advisor about the Maximum Timeframe rule. (150% of credits in your program) Or check out the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy on ICC webpage at:

    North Carolina state grants are limited to 10 full-time semesters. 



Contact for information

Financial Aid
Student Center
Office: 828-395-4198
Fax: 828-286-8109
Department Directory

Office hours

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Subject to change depending on availability.