As designated through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) has provided colleges with emergency funds (grants) for eligible students. These funds are available to qualified students with expenses related the disruption of campus operations due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Expenses include those associated with the cost of attendance such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and childcare. The Department of Education has established the overall criteria for eligibility.
Isothermal Community College is committed to helping students address immediate and urgent needs through the funding of this grant. While the college will be unable to assist every student with this grant, we will seek to identify institutional, community, and additional public resources to help any student in need.
To comply with Section 18004(e) of the CARES Act, Isothermal Community College is providing the following 45-day Fund Report effective October 23, 2020:
1. Isothermal Community College acknowledges that the institution's Administration signed and returned to the Department of Education the required Certification and Agreement on April 22, 2020. The college intends to use no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
2. To date, Isothermal Community College has received $506,028 from the Department of Education pursuant to the Certification and Agreement for Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students.
3. The total amount of Emergency Financial Aid Grants distributed to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act as of the October 23, 2020 is $506,028.
4. The estimated total number of students at the institution eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act is 524.
5. The total number of students who have received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act is 518.
6. The method used by the institution to determine which students receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants and the amounts they would receive was determined by an interdepartmental team, including representatives from Student Services, Financial Aid, Business Office, and senior administration.
Eligible students include those who:
7. Initial distribution amounts were determined based on eligible course enrollment as indicated in #6.
8. Along with the initial disbursement, eligible students were also provided the option to request additional grant funds for urgent/pressing needs on a first apply, first award basis. These students were notified via text messages and emails that included a link to the Isothermal Application for Additional Assistance. Furthermore, eligible students continue to be notified through conversations with Financial Aid and Student Services staff. Funding for urgent/pressing needs associated with the disruption of campus operations due to the COVID-19 pandemic will continue to be awarded until the allocated grant funds have been exhausted.
For questions about eligibility, students may contact the Financial Aid office by emailing email@example.com, by calling 828-395-4198, or by visiting Student Services.
Initial public notice posted May 21, 2020. Amended notices posted July 1, 2020, August 14, 2020, and September 25, 2020, and October 23, 2020.