Skip to main content



Residency Status

Stock art of girl holding notebook computer

Before applying to Isothermal, you must certify you live within the state to qualify for in-state tuition. This happens through the NC Residency Determination Service, known as RDS. There is no cost associated with this process. You will need your Residency Certification Number (RCN) to complete your college application.

Complete Your RDS

Implications for out-of-state financial aid

Being an out-of-state student will not impact your acceptance into a program at Isothermal. Residency only indicates the type of tuition rates that will apply to you.

As an out-of-state student, your Pell grant may not cover your total tuition costs. You should be prepared to pay the difference yourself.

Top mistakes to avoid on RDS

  • Not starting early enough
  • If you already have an account, don't create another one.
  • Don't move through the application too quickly.
  • Not reading instructions
  • Supplying incorrect information. Name, Date of Birth, Social Security Number (for you and your parent/legal guardian) must be correct and match what you provide on your college application. Type carefully and double check!
  • Guessing or not answering answers 
  • Not giving financial information to prove you are independent of a parent/legal guardian if you are independent.
  • Not providing your parent/guardian information if you are under 24 years of age and dependent
  • Not submitting required documents
  • Not finishing your application after completing RDS
  • Not asking for a reconsideration or an appeal if you need to
  • Not asking for help if you need it.

Residency determination for veterans, dependents, and/or beneficiaries

In partnership with the NC Residency Determination Service, Isothermal Community College will determine in-state tuition eligibility for veteran students, dependents, and/or beneficiaries. Out-of-state tuition is waived for veterans or veterans’ dependents who receive Chapter 30, Chapter 31, Chapter 33, or Fry Scholarship benefits in accordance with the US Department of Veterans Affairs.

Contact for information

Student Center, 18
Office: 828-395-4193
Fax: 828-286-8109
Department Directory

Office hours

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Subject to change depending on availability.