Skip to main content



Academic Fresh Start

Any Isothermal Community College student who has experienced a lapse in enrollment at the college for a period of at least three consecutive academic years may petition in writing to have grades older than three years and below “C” disregarded in calculating the grade point average (GPA). Following re-enrollment, the student must complete at least twelve semester hours with a minimum GPA of 2.0 prior to requesting an academic fresh start.

In some instances students who change majors and complete two academic semesters with at least twelve semester hours and a minimum GPA of 2.0 in the new major may petition for an academic fresh start even if there has not been a lapse in enrollment.

The student requesting a fresh start should complete an Academic Fresh Start application that is available in the Student Services office. Students may be granted an academic fresh start only once. An academic review committee will consider the request and determine the student's eligibility for grade forgiveness. If the request is approved, the record of earlier course work will remain on the student's transcript, however, these grades will be removed from GPA calculation. Students transferring to another college should contact the institution to determine the impact of Academic Fresh Start on transfer. Fresh start GPA calculations are not used in determining eligibility for financial aid.

Policy Number: 401-02-08BP

Adopted: 2001

Reviewed: July 2018

Amended: July 22, 2014

Download a PDF of this policy