Isothermal Community College

Learning College Manual

Emergency and Safety Plans

Medical Emergency 

Mass Casualty

In the event of a mass casualty, call 911 (9-911 from a campus phone) to report the nature of the situation.  Provide the information requested.  Initiate the relevant emergency response procedure (i.e. Evacuation, Shelter in Place/Lock Out, Lockdown) based upon the nature of the emergency.

Psychological Crisis

A psychological crisis exists when an individual is threatening harm to himself/herself, to others, or is disoriented because of a drug reaction or psychosis.  Psychological crises vary in intensity. While rare, crises can occur during the semester, particularly during stressful times, including exam and holiday periods.

A major psychological crisis requires the intervention of trained personnel. In some instances of severe emotional or psychological disturbance, immediate response is necessary for the safety of the student or others.

  • Campus Enforcement personnel should immediately be contacted in situations requiring medical or peace-keeping intervention.
  • Counseling personnel in the Office of Learning Support and Retention can be contacted for consultation or assistance in resolving the situation.  Call 828-395-1436 and request counseling assistance.
  • Contact
    • For curriculum students:  Dean of Students at 828-395-1430
    • For continuing education students:  Dean of Continuing Education at 828-395-1405
    • For employees and visitors:  Director of Human Resources at 828-395-4192

Less severe psychological crises may involve uncontrolled crying, feelings of panic, or anger/yelling (without indications/threats of physical harm).  Emphasize help is available and call 828-395-1436 to request counseling assistance from the Office of Learning Support and Retention.  If the psychological crisis resolves quickly in response to attention and kindness, no intervention of professional counselors or officers may be necessary. Plans for follow-up support should be put in place (e.g., a follow-up conversation, a referral to counseling, an action-plan should the situation become acute again, etc.). If the crisis does not resolve, or escalates, follow the guidelines above for a major psychological crisis.

If a psychological crisis occurs:

  1. Never try to handle a situation on your own you feel is dangerous.
  2. Notify Campus Enforcement at 828-289-5850. Clearly state you need immediate assistance, give your name, your location, and the area involved.  Campus Enforcement officers will let the appropriate college officials know about the incident:
    1. For curriculum students:  Dean of Students at 828-395-1430
    2. For continuing education students:  Dean of Continuing Education at 828-395-1405.
    3. For employees or visitors:  Director of Human Resources at 828-395-4192.
  3. The counselors in Learning Support and Retention will provide personal counseling assistance and referrals.  Call the secretary in Learning Support and Retention at 828-395-1436 to be directed to an available counselor.  Campus Enforcement and counselors may utilize Mobile Crisis Unit if necessary by calling 1-888-573-1006.
  4. In extreme situations, call 911 (9-911 from a campus phone).
  5. If possible, do not leave the individual unattended (unless you feel concerned for your own safety).
  6. If you feel concerned for your safety, go to a safe location and call 911 (9-911 from a campus phone) and Campus Enforcement at 828-289-5850.
  7. Document what occurred by completing an Incident Report Form.  Submit the completed form to the appropriate persons.  The Incident Report Form can be found on the Intranet under Student Services. If you have any questions regarding incident reporting, please contact the Dean of Students at 828-395-1430.

Serious Injury or Illness

If a serious injury or illness occurs on campus notify 911 (9-911 from a campus phone) to report the nature of the situation. Give them your name and do the following:

  1. Describe as best you can the nature of the problem.
  2. Give the campus location of the victim by building name.
  3. Do not hang up until instructed to do so.
  4. Send someone to watch for the emergency unit and to direct the unit to the scene.
  5. Ask someone to notify Human Resources or the nearest dean, director, faculty member or staff.
    1. If you feel comfortable, provide or attempt to provide first aid treatment. North Carolina is a Good Samaritan state; however, employees should be aware if someone chooses to render assistance, the employee is doing so by his/her own choice and is not required to render assistance as part of his/her job responsibility.
    2. The appropriate personnel or his/her designee will attempt to notify the next-of-kin of each injured/ill person.  S/he will continue trying to reach the next-of-kin until s/he either makes contact or is assured by police or hospital personnel someone has been notified.

For minor medical needs, first aid supplies are available in each building, the Physical Education Office, and shop classrooms. The College has no facilities for medical treatment other than for minor first aid and can assume no responsibility for treatment of injuries or illness of students.