Last updated 10/30/15
Isothermal Community College
P.O. Box 804, Spindale NC 28160
(828) 395-1307 fax (828) 286-8208
Charles P. Wiggins, Director of Library Services
Nursing Research Page
|Print Resources||Online Databases|
Guidelines for Nursing Books
L. C. Classification Areas Related to Nursing
NC LIVE Information Page
Medical and Nursing Databases
|Internet Resources||Other Information|
|Other Resources on the Internet||
Information Literacy: Evaluating Resources
Help from the Library Staff
Nursing Books in the Library
Nursing books, selected for the library by the nursing faculty, can be found both in the library's Reference (non-circulating) and Circulating book collections. Most are shelved in the medical subject section (R's) of each collection, although a few may be found in related subject areas. (See Library of Congress Classification Areas Related to Nursing for more information, and the online Library Handbook for information on how to locate books organized by the LC Classification System). The prefix "Nursing" is placed on books that contain information appropriate for current medical research. See Guidelines for Nursing Books for more specific information.
Individual titles in the college's collection can be located by using the CMC Consortium Catalog. Search results can be narrowed to the College's holdings By clicking on "Change" next to "All Locations" and selecting "Isothermal - Main". Instructions for using specific search methods in the catalog can be found in the online Library Handbook.
Books and Other Materials on ReserveNursing Research Online
At the request of nursing faculty, selected nursing materials are kept on Reserve shelves at the Circulation desk for the use of students enrolled in particular courses.
ONLINE RESOURCES: Links to the following resources can be found on the Library home page. Login information is available in Moodle. Once you are logged into Moodle, select any of your courses from the"My Courses" menu, then look for the Library Resources block, then choose "Database passwords." You can also email your name and birthdate to nclivepassword[at]isothermal[dot]edu and a library staff member will respond during regular library hours. See Password Information for details.
Journal Article Sources
NC LIVE's Nursing & Allied Health databases, especially:
Reference & eBook Article Sources
- ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Database
- Journals and dissertations covering nursing, allied health, and alternative and complementary medicine.
- ProQuest Health & Medical Collection
- Clinical research plus consumer and health administration titles.
- ProQuest Health Management Database
- Research supporting professional healthcare management and healthcare administration.
- ProQuest Public Health Database
- Core literature in the field of public health.
- Credo Reference
- A general reference collection of over 1,100 titles including Atlases, Dictionaries, Biographies, Encyclopedias, Handbooks, Statistics, and more, in a wide range of subject areas. Credo also provides Topic Pages with collected information and links on a variety of timely and frequently accessed topics. Credo also provides cross-linking to the Library Catalog and other online databases.
- Health Reference Series Online
- Includes the complete content of Omnigraphics's Health Reference Series that are owned by Isothermal Community College Library. These titles provide quality, comprehensive, consumer level health information on a wide variety of health topics.
- Merck Manual: Professional Version
- Offers trusted, concise and correct discussions of diagnosis and therapy. Content is updated monthly to keep current with changes in medical care.
- Oxford Reference Online Premium
- Reference titles in core subject areas, including quick reference articles, illustrations, photographs, line diagrams, maps, and tables.
- Salem Press: Health
- Includes the complete content of Salem's printed reference sets that are owned by Isothermal Community College Library.
- Provides access the full text from over 60 of the most respected evidence-based-medicine eBook titles in a cross-searchable platform. Includes other tools such as Stedman's Medical Dictionary, MedCalc 3000, and links to external sources such as PubMed and TOXNET.
Video & Media Sources
- eBooks on EBSCOhost
- A combination collection of eBooks provided by both NC LIVE and Isothermal on a broad range of subjects including art, religion, technology & engineering, philosophy, psychology, history, medicine, science, law & criminology, and sports.
- ebrary Academic and Public Library Complete
- Scholarly titles supporting student and faculty research including Agriculture, Education, the Fine Arts, Geography, Anthropology, Recreation, History, Language and Literature, Law, Medicine, Military Science, Music, Philosophy, Psychology, Religion, Science, Social Sciences, and Technology; plus general nonfiction on topics such as school & studying, career development, arts & leisure, and practical life skills.
- Online books on a variety of topics including Education, Fine Arts, Geography. Anthropology. Recreation, Language and Literature, Law, Medicine, Music, Philosophy, Psychology, Religion, Science Social Sciences, Technology, and World History.
Exam Review Sources
- A.D.A.M. Interactive Anatomy Online
- Provides incredibly detailed graphics, precision accuracy and advanced functionality have been combined with A.D.A.M.'s award-winning Multimedia Encyclopedia containing over 3,600 articles covering conditions, disease states, procedures, treatments, surgeries, tests and more, over 3,000 illustrations, diagrams and photos and over 120 multimedia videos. An updated 3D image library also provides the best 3D anatomical images anywhere online. WARNING: Does not work with Google Chrome.
- Films on Demand
- Contains streaming videos from top educational sources on a broad variety of subjects. Users can create a personal account to save favorites, create playlists, and even create customized bookmarks within any program. All videos and video segments have direct access links and embed code, so they can easily be added to presentations or Moodle courses.
- Merck Manual: Professional Version
- Offers trusted, concise and correct discussions of diagnosis and therapy. Content is updated monthly to keep current with changes in medical care. Go to the "Resources" menu to find audio, video, images, etc.
- ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Database
- In addition to journal articles, this database also contains a collection of Medcom training videos. Click on "Browse" to view video training programs covering assessment, procedures, anatomy, prevention, and other topics - OR - conduct a search and limit the Source Type to "Audio & Video Works."
- Exam review tool with practice questions and detailed explanations to help prepare for the NCLEX RN, NCLEX PN, Surgical Tech Exam and the ARRT Radiography Exam. You must register for a personal account using your Isothermal email address in order to use this service.
- LearningExpress Library
- Includes review eBooks and practices exams for the NCLEX RN, NCLEX PN, and the ARRT Radiography Exam, plus Surgical Tech Exam review eBooks based on the NBSTSA’s official exam.
Other Resources on the Internet
In addition to the resources available through NC LIVE, many professional institutions, organizations and publishers make useful information available over the Internet. Some of these, selected by the professional library staff, are listed on the Library's Internet Links page.
- Free Medical Journals
- Over 400 important medical journals available online, free and in full text.
- PubMed (National Library of Medicine)
- PubMed is the U.S. National Library of Medicine's digital archive of life sciences journal literature. Access to the full text of articles in PMC is free, except where a journal requires a subscription for access to recent articles.
- Links to medical & health-related journals grouped by topic.
Evaluating Sources for Reliability
Help in assessing the value of information sources can be found in Information Literacy: Evaluating Resources.
Ask the Library Staff for Assistance
If you don't find what you need, ask a library professional, who may be able to assist you in locating the desired information. Email Charles Wiggins or Becky Cleland, call the library at 828-395-1307, or ask for help at the Circulation desk if you are in the library. You may also wish to consider using the library's Interlibrary Loan service. (The nursing faculty is in charge of selecting nursing materials for the library collection; therefore, please alert nursing faculty or library staff if needed materials are unavailable.)
Interlibrary Loan Service
You may borrow books or obtain photocopies of articles from other libraries through the use of Interlibrary Loan service, either by coming to the library Circulation desk and requesting a form, or by completing an electronic form at the Interlibrary Loan page. NOTE: Items borrowed through Interlibrary Loan may take up to ten days to arrive; be sure that you have enough time when considering acquiring information in this manner.
Some links on this site go to external web sites not connected with Isothermal Community College. Their inclusion is not an endorsement by Isothermal and Isothermal is not responsible for accuracy of their content.
|BACK TO TOP|