Powers Scholarship Program
Martha Jane Powers established the Lee L. Powers Scholarship Fund in memory of her father, Lee L. Powers. Mr. Powers was a moving force in the history of Rutherford County. He served on many statewide committees affecting transportation and senior citizens, as well as in other positions. The Rutherford County Commissioners named him to the Steering Committee to obtain Isothermal Community College. Mr. Powers also has been honored by the Shriners of the Oasis Temple as one of those with the longest continuous service.
The Lee L. Powers Service Scholarship Program (LLPSS)
The initial offering of the LLPSS is intended to ensure total funding of tuition for all recipients. Once tuition demands are met and if additional revenues are available, a stipend may be allotted for books. The actual amount will be determined by the number of applicants and revenues on hand. Scholarships are available to part-time students on a pro rata basis.
To be considered for the scholarship, the student must:
- Be a legal resident of the State of North Carolina and reside in Rutherford or Polk County. Residency is determined by the Admissions Office according to state guidelines.
- Be seeking a Certificate, Diploma or Degree within an academic program.
- Be making satisfactory academic progress. Students ineligible for federal/state aid due to reaching Maximum Timeframe (MTF) may receive the Powers Service Scholarship if a MTF appeal has been denied or exhausted and they are within 16 hours or less of program completion.
- Sign the Powers Service Scholarship Contract.
To receive the scholarship, the student must:
- Complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as well as all other required documents to the Financial Aid Office each academic year prior to the semester for which funding is sought.
- Be deemed ineligible for federal/state aid in amount large enough to cover the full cost of tuition or exhausted Pell eligibility. *All eligible scholarship/grant and/or WIOA funding will be utilized before the Powers Service Scholarship is granted. Students ineligible for federal/state aid due to reaching Lifetime Eligibility (LEU) may receive the scholarship if they are within 16 hours or less of program completion.
- Provide an official copy of a high school transcript or equivalent in accordance with the Admissions Policy of Isothermal Community College.
*Students will receive a bill for tuition and fee charges if the financial aid process is not complete by the semester census date (published in the Student Handbook). The bill will notify students that registration will be blocked for future semesters until payment is made in full or the financial aid process is complete. When all requirements are met, scholarship eligibility will be reevaluated.
Recipients of the scholarship will required to complete one of the following during the fall and spring semesters (summer excluded):
- Complete a four (4) hour Human Resource Devlopment (HRD) course per semester, offered by Isothermal Community College.
- Complete a maximum of five (5) hours of community service per semester by the date specified on the Community Service Verification Worksheet. The volunteer hours will be documented by the Coordinator of the Powers Scholarship program.
- Provide documentation from an employer each semester verifying employment of 30 hours or more per standard week during enrollment at Isothermal Community College.
- Students must demonstrate satisfactory academic progress by maintaining a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 and a cumulative completion rate of 67%. Evaluation of progress will occur at the end of each semester.
- Students must reapply for the LLPSS every academic year completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students are eligible to receive the scholarship for a maximum of ten (10) semesters of funding, regardless of enrollment status. Example; Enrollment in one course equals one semester of funding.
*In the event that funds are insufficient for making awards to all qualified applicants, awards will be processed based on the date the student's financial aid file is complete.
The Lee L. Powers Merit Scholarship Program(LLPMS)
The LLPMS is intended to recognize demonstrated meritorious acedemic achievement for six recent high school graduates. Each scholarship will be sufficient to cover tuition and books at Isothermal Community College. Awarding of this scholarship is contingent upon the availability of funds. In order to apply for the scholarship, the student must complete and submit an Isothermal Community College Powers Merit Scholarship application by June 30 prior to the fall semester for which funding is sought. You must also submit two letters of character and sitizenship reference with the application. (References may not be relatives of the applicant.) Also, you must provide an official copy of a high school transcript or equivalent in accordance with the Admissions Policy of Isothermal Community College.
To apply for the scholarship, the student must:
- Be a legal resident of the State of North Carolina and reside in Rutherford or Polk County. Residency is determined by the Admissions Office according to state guidelines at the time of the original application to Isothermal Community College.
- Plan to be a full-time student at ICC seeking a degree within an academic program.
- May apply for any Powers Scholarship but may be a recipient of only one Powers Scholarship.
- Be a graduate of a high school in Rutherford or Polk Countywithin the academic year in which the application is submitted.
- If graduating from a high school with 100 or more graduates, the student must have graduated within the top 10% academically of his/her class.
- if graduating from a high school with less than 100 graduates, the student must complete the SAT test prior to submitting the application.
- Graduates of the Adult High School program, including adult high school diploma or high school equivalency, must have demonstrated college ready performance.
Recipients of the scholarship will be required to:
- Maintain an overall GPA of 3.2 and demonstrate satisfactory academic progress to retain the scholarship. A student may receive up to ten(10) semesters of full-time funding.
- Exhibit good character and citizenship.
*In the event a Lee L. Powers Merit Scholarship recipient receives funding for tuition, fees, and/or books from other sources, the unused portion of the scholarship will be held in reserve until the end of the semester and then disbursed to the student upon successful course completion.
Lee L. Powers Career and College Promise Scholarship
The Lee L. Powers Career and College Promise Scholarship is intended to assist dual/concurrent enrollment students attending a recognized high school in Rutherford or Polk County with the purchase of textbooks at Isothermal Community College. Recipients of this scholarship receive a maximum book allotment of $200.00 for use in the Isothermal Community College Bookstore. Excess monies remaining on the recipient's account will be returned to the general scholarship fund. Awarding of this scholarship is contingent upon the availability of scholarship funds.
Lee L. Powers CNA-I Scholarship
The Lee L. Powers Certified Nursing Assistant Scholarship is intended to ensure one-time funding of tuition for students enrolled in the CNA-I program at Isothermal Community College. Recipients of this scholarship must be legal residents of the State of North Carolina and reside in Rutherford or Polk County. Residency is determined according to North Carolina State Residency Guidelines. See link below for application.