Isothermal Community College

Office of Admissions

International Student Enrollment

General Admission Requirement - For All International Students

All international students must meet the general admission requirements for their program of study.

In addition to general admission requirements, international students must submit additional documents according to their international student status and complete the required steps for each category.


F1 Student Visa - For students who reside permanently in another country but wish to come to the USA for the sole purpose of attending college fulltime, Tuition rates will be out-of-state. In addition to the general admission requirements noted above, you must also submit:

  • Notarized Affidavit of Support (I-134) (can be found on the website under Immigration Forms) and a notarized bank statement showing current U.S. funds available to cover tuition and living costs all years of study at Isothermal Community College. 
  • “Official” TOEFL scores (61 or higher on internet based test) OR SAT Scores (500 or higher for verbal and 500 or higher for math). If you are from a country whose first language is English, this requirement may be waived upon evaluation.
  • Copy of current passport
  • High School transcripts must translated into English, evaluated by an international organization, and sent in a sealed envelope to Isothermal Community College’s Admissions Department.

Once all the above admissions information is in our possession and you have been evaluated as an eligible candidate to attend Isothermal Community College, the Director of Enrollment Management will generate an I-20 form for you to use in your application for an F1 Student Visa. Once you arrive, you will need to provide the following to the Director:

  • Copy of F1 Visa
  • Copy of I-94
  • Completed placement test (unless previously waived)

If you wish to take English as a Second Language (ESL) classes before you enroll in any of our degree, diploma, or certificate programs, you can contact the ESL Coordinator at 828-395-1489. ESL classes are offered through our Continuing Education Department and are therefore considered separate from degree, diploma, or certificate programs. None of the steps noted above are required for taking classes in our Continuing Education Department.

Permanent Resident - For students who either have an active application for residency to the USA on file with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), or those who have received their green card, Tuition rates may be either in or out-of-state, depending on the student’s circumstance and ability to prove eligibility. In addition to the general admission requirements noted above, you must also submit:

  • Copy of the “notice of action” sent to you from DHS regarding your application for residency or a copy of your valid green card
  • Copy of valid passport
  • *Completed North Carolina residency application (please contact Admissions at 828-395-1442 to have one sent to you)
  • *Further documents will be required to prove that you have been a resident of North Carolina for 12 months or more and have been actively been supporting the state’s tax system. These documents vary from one person to another. To determine which documents can assist with proper evaluation of your circumstance, contact the Director of Enrollment Management at 828-395-1495.

* Please note that these two items will not prevent you from being admitted to college but can assist in evaluating your eligibility for in-state tuition rates.

Undocumented Immigrants - Undocumented Immigrants may be admitted to Isothermal Community College under the following circumstances:

  1. The student must have graduated from a United States public high school, private high school, or home school as recognized by the state from which the school was located. This includes Adult High School diplomas but does not include General Educational Development (GED) diplomas.
  2. The student must pay tuition at the out-of-state rate.
  3. The student may only register for classes after the last published date of registration on a space available basis.
  4. The student may not be allowed to enroll in certain programs of study that require a state license upon graduation. Programs of this type at Isothermal Community College include (but are not limited to):
    1. LPN
    2. RN
    3. Surgical Technology
    4. Cosmetology
    5. Basic Law Enforcement Training

Other - If you feel you are qualified to attend college for a reason not outlined above, please contact the Director of Enrollment Management at 828-395-1495 to discuss your situation and receive some advice about circumstances and application to Isothermal Community College.


Official documentation refers to transcripts, forms,  etc. that are sent directly to the Admissions Office at Isothermal Community College in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution. Please have all documentation mailed to:

The Admissions Office
Isothermal Community College
PO Box 804
Spindale, NC 28160

If you have any further questions about international admission to Isothermal Community College, please contact the Director of Enrollment Management at 828-395-1495