Learning College Manual
It shall be the policy of Isothermal Community College that, in appreciation for their service to this State and this country during a period of war, and in recognition of the time and advantage lost toward the pursuit of a civilian career, eligible veterans shall be granted the following preference in employment at the College.
As used in this section:
- "A period of war" includes World War I (April 16, 1917 through November 11, 1918), World War II (December 7, 1941 through December 31, 1946), the Korean Conflict (June 27 1950, through January 31, 1955), the period of time between January 31, 1955, and the end of the hostilities in Vietnam (May 7, 1975), or any other campaign, expedition, or engagement for which a campaign badge or medal is authorized by the United States Department of Defense.
- "Veteran," for the purposes of this policy, means a person who served in the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty, for reasons other than training, and has been discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.
- "Eligible veteran," for the purposes of this policy, means the following persons:
- A veteran who served during a period of war; or
- The spouse of a disabled veteran; or
- The surviving spouse or dependent of a veteran who dies on active duty during a period of war either directly or indirectly as the result of such service; or
- A veteran who suffered a disabling injury for service‑related reasons during peacetime; or
- The spouse of a veteran described in subdivision d. of this subsection; or
- The surviving spouse or dependent of a person who served in the Armed Forces of the United States on active duty, for reasons other than training, who dies for service‑related reasons during peacetime.
The College will grant a preference to all applicants that are eligible veterans as defined above and are citizens of the State of North Carolina. This preference applies to initial employment with the College and extends to other employment events including subsequent hiring, promotion, reassignment or transfer.
Nothing in this policy shall prevent the College from selecting the best qualified applicant or candidate for any position whether by initial employment, promotion, reassignment or lateral transfer. In order to claim veterans’ preference, eligible veterans must meet the minimum training and experience requirements for the position and must be capable of performing the duties assigned to the position. Status as an eligible veteran does not guarantee employment with the College.
To claim veterans’ preference, all eligible persons shall submit to the College a DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, along with the a complete application packet.
Policy No: 301-01-02BP
Reference: 23 NCAC 02C .0210(30); N.C.G.S. § 128-15
Adopted: May 12, 2009
Amended: May 11, 2010