Learning College Manual
Student Field Trips and Travel Study
All field trips must receive prior approval from the appropriate Dean/Director and the appropriate Vice President before date of the trip. Student field trip information forms for all participants must be submitted to the Human Resource Manager prior to the field trip. Any trip involving a curriculum class which extends beyond one calendar day will qualify as a curriculum travel study trip in which case the guidelines for curriculum travel study must be followed.
Guidelines for Curriculum Travel/Study
- Written permission to plan a curriculum travel/study trip must be obtained by the appropriate dean/director prior to any advertising or solicitation of interest.
- A completed Request for Curriculum Travel/Study form must be submitted by the faculty member to the appropriate dean/director sixty to ninety days before the proposed travel. Once the dean/director has approved the request, the form will be forwarded to the Vice President of Academic and Student Services and Institutional Assessment and the President for approval.
- Approval of each trip will be based on the merit and feasibility of the trip. Once approved, copies of the request and all pertinent details will be forwarded to the business office.
- It is suggested that when traveling out of the country, the faculty coordinator rely on companies with experience with foreign group travel to manage the logistics of the trip. The coordinator may, however, elect to serve as the agent for such a trip if prior travel experience is documented.
- Acquiring and providing documentation of necessary immunizations will be the responsibility of each student.
- Classes and assignments combined with the travel must be worthy of college credit and learning outcomes must be documented.
- Fees will be collected from each participant prior to any expenditure by the college. The timeline for collecting fees will be dependent on the details of the trip and the vendors involved.
- All monies will be collected through the business office.
- Concurrently enrolled students or students under the age of 18 must have the written permission of a parent or guardian.
- Each student must provide written authorization for the in-charge person on the trip to provide permission for medical care on behalf of the student if an emergency arises. For minor students, the authorization must be signed by the parent or guardian.
- A minimum number of five students will be required for curriculum travel/study.
- Cost for faculty/staff member may be distributed within participants’ costs. If the minimum number is not met, it is the responsibility of the faculty/staff member to pay proportionately the balance of the expenses.
- Faculty and staff participating are responsible for their expenses incurred as a result of the travel. If the faculty/staff member is not currently under a contract, a supplemental contract may be initiated for the course contact hours if applicable.
Policy No: 402-02-03AP
Adopted: May 22, 1991
Amended: July 20, 2006; January 28, 2009