Learning College Manual
Board of Trustees
Article V - Meetings
Section 5.1 Regular Meetings
The regular meetings of the Board shall be held twice during the fall and spring semesters and once during the summer semester. Ordinarily, the Board will meet as follows:
- the last Tuesday in September at the Rutherford Campus
- the second Tuesday in November at the Rutherford Campus
- the last Tuesday in January at the Polk Center
- the last Tuesday in March at the Rutherford Campus
- the second Tuesday in June at the Rutherford Campus
The time for meetings may vary and will be determined by the Board Chair and the President on an annual basis. Dates, times, and locations will be distributed by the Board Chair or the President prior to the September meeting. Regular meeting may be postponed and rescheduled by agreement of the Chair and the President. Board members must be given at least two (2) weeks’ notice of any regular meeting.
Section 5.2 Special Meetings
- The time, place, and purpose of special meetings may be fixed by the Chair or by the President.
- The business to be transacted at any special meeting of the Board shall generally be confined to such matters as have been specified in the call to members and officers of the Board.
- Trustees or the President may propose matters for consideration not included in the prepared agenda, subject to approval of the Chair.
Section 5.3 Notice of Meetings
Members and officers of the Board and the President shall receive written notification from the Administrative Support to the Board as to the time and place of all meetings and the purpose(s) of special meetings at least forty-eight (48) hours in advance of meetings. Public notice of any meeting of the Board shall be given as required by North Carolina General Statute 143-318.12 entitled “Public Notice of Official Meetings.”
Section 5.4 Quorums
- Eight (8) members of the Board of Trustees in actual attendance of meetings shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. No business shall be transacted without an affirmative vote of at least five (5) members of the Board.
- A majority vote (8) of all of the voting members of the Board shall be required for the adoption of new or revised College policies, the establishment or termination of educational programs or services, and for the election of a President.
- All qualified members of the Board, except the Student Government Association President, may vote on all matters coming before the Board for consideration unless excused for Conflict of Interest as outlined in State Government Ethics Act 138A. No vote concerning any matter under consideration by the Board, or a committee of the Board, may be cast by proxy or by mail.
Section 5.5 Agenda
- The President of the College will provide the Chair with a list of those items to be presented to the Board with his/her recommendations and, where appropriate, with electronic or paper copies of any documents to be presented as information or for action by the Board. The Chair may also receive agenda items from Board members and other sources at least five (5) working days prior to the regular Board meeting.
- In emergencies, the Chair, on the request of the President or members of the Board, may add items to the agenda regardless of the date he receives such items.
Section 5.6 Open Meetings
All regular and special meetings of the Board shall be open to the public except during closed session. A closed session of the Board may be held only upon a motion adopted in open session by a majority of those present and voting. The motion must state the general purpose of the closed session. The subject matter exceptions to open meetings are outlined in the General Statutes 143-318.11.
Section 5.7 Parliamentary Rules
The most recent edition of Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised shall be followed in conducting the meetings of the Board, unless otherwise provided by the Board. Rulings in questions of order by the Chair shall prevail unless overruled by a majority vote of the members present.
Section 5.8 Individual or Group Hearings
Any individual or organized group who desires to appear before the Board shall state in writing the purpose of such appearance and the name of each person who is to appear as a spokesperson. The statement shall be filed with the Chairman at least four (4) working days in advance of the meeting at which the appearance is desired in order that it may be included in the agenda for the meeting. Oral statements made by persons wishing to address the Board shall be limited to five minutes each, for a total of thirty minutes per meeting of the Board, for individual or group hearings.
Amendment Approved: May 11, 2010; February 28, 2012; January 29, 2013