Last updated 11/22/13
Isothermal Community College
P.O. Box 804, Spindale NC 28160
(828) 395-1307 fax (828) 286-8208
Charles P. Wiggins, Director of Library Services
Nursing Research Page
|Print Resources||Online Databases|
Guidelines for Nursing Books
L. C. Classification Areas Related to Nursing
NC LIVE Information Page
Medical and Nursing Databases
|Internet Resources||Other Information|
Medical & Health-Related Sites on the Internet
Medical Journals and Articles on the Internet
Information Literacy: Evaluating Resources
Help from the Library Staff
Nursing Books in the Library
Nursing books, selected for the library by the nursing faculty, can be found both in the library's Reference (non-circulating) and Circulating book collections. Most are shelved in the medical subject section (R's) of each collection, although a few may be found in related subject areas. (See Library of Congress Classification Areas Related to Nursing for more information, and the online Library Handbook for information on how to locate books organized by the LC Classification System). The prefix "Nursing" is placed on books that contain information appropriate for current medical research. See Guidelines for Nursing Books for more specific information.
Individual titles in the college's collection can be located by using the CMC Consortium Catalog and selecting "Isothermal Community College" from the list of libraries under "Search Options," or by using the search option for the college collection at the top left of the Library home page. Instructions for using specific search methods in the catalog can be found in the online Library Handbook.
Books and Other Materials on ReserveNursing Research Online
At the request of nursing faculty, selected nursing materials are kept on Reserve shelves at the Circulation desk for the use of students enrolled in particular courses.
ONLINE RESOURCES: Links to the following resources can be found on the Library home page. You can access NC LIVE, Credo Reference and a list of passwords for all other subscription databases after logging in to Moodle, which you can access from anywhere; note the links in the left column after login. If for some reason you do not have access to Moodle, please use this link to request a password: supply your full name and date of birth for verification. See Password Information for details.
- A.D.A.M. Interactive Anatomy Online is a comprehensive digital database of detailed anatomical images including anatomical structures with point and click identification; clinical animations presented by body region, body system, and medical specialty; hundreds of specific, detailed 3D models in the high resolution with full rotation and exploded views; and a multimedia encyclopedia containing articles covering conditions, disease states, procedures, treatments, surgeries, tests and more; illustrations, diagrams and photos; and multimedia videos.
- EBooks on EBSCOhost through NC LIVE provides a statewide eBook collection with many titles specific to nursing. The College supplements this collection with two other collections, which are automatically presented to authenticated Isothermal Community College users in any eBooks on EBSCOhost search.
- Films on Demand contains streaming videos from top educational sources on a broad variety of subjects, including many titles in the Health & Medicine category. Users can create a personal account to save favorites, create playlists, and even create customized bookmarks within any program. All videos and video segments have direct access links and embed code, so they can easily be added to presentations or Moodle courses.
- NC LIVE's Nursing & Allied Health databases, especially:
- CINAHL w/Full Text is an index to nursing & allied health journals, providing full text for hundreds of the most used journals in the CINAHL index. Full-text coverage dates back to 1981.
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition provides scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines, and also features the AHFS Consumer Medication Information, which covers generic drug patient education sheets with brand names.
- Learning Express Library is a collection of eBooks, self-paced courses, and practices tests for students & adult learners. Materials are included to study math, biology, chemistry, and general science, plus test-prep materials for the NCLEX-PN and NCLEX-RN exams.
- Ovid Nursing Journals is a searchable full-text collection of fifty-five of the most respected medical and nursing journals published by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Inc., plus the option to search open access medical titles and references.
- STAT!Ref is a full-text collection of respected evidence-based-medicine eBook titles in a cross-searchable platform. STAT!Ref includes other tools such as Stedman's Medical Dictionary, MedCalc 3000, and links to external sources such as PubMed and TOXNET.
Other Resources on the Internet
In addition to the resources available through NC LIVE, many professional institutions, organizations and publishers make useful information available over the Internet. Some of these, selected by the professional library staff, are listed on the Library's Internet Links page.
Medical Journals on the Internet is a list of professional nursing journals accessible over the Internet.
Evaluating Sources for Reliability
Help in assessing the value of information sources can be found in Information Literacy: Evaluating Resources.
Ask the Library Staff for Assistance
If you don't find what you need, ask a library professional, who may be able to assist you in locating the desired information. Email Charles Wiggins, Engle Troxler or Becky Cleland, call the library at 828-395-1307, or ask for help at the Circulation desk if you are in the library. You may also wish to consider using the library's Interlibrary Loan service. (The nursing faculty is in charge of selecting nursing materials for the library collection; therefore, please alert nursing faculty or library staff if needed materials are unavailable.)
Interlibrary Loan Service
You may borrow books or obtain photocopies of articles from other libraries through the use of Interlibrary Loan service, either by coming to the library Circulation desk and requesting a form, or by completing an electronic form at the Interlibrary Loan page. NOTE: Items borrowed through Interlibrary Loan may take up to ten days to arrive; be sure that you have enough time when considering acquiring information in this manner.
Some links on this site go to external web sites not connected with Isothermal Community College. Their inclusion is not an endorsement by Isothermal and Isothermal is not responsible for accuracy of their content.
|BACK TO TOP|