Each year, Isothermal Community College sponsors an essay contest designed to recognize Isothermal students who have written outstanding essays. Essays, papers, and stories are judged by a qualified person who has no current affiliation with the college. Winning essays and honorable mentions will be recognized publicly and published in the school literary magazine, the Anuran.
Cash prizes will be awarded: $100 for first; $75 for second; and $50 for third; and $25 for fourth. Honorable Mentions will receive a certificate.
- Students enrolled in at least one term of the school year from summer 2015 to spring 2016 at Isothermal Community College may enter.
- Entries should be prose essays, papers, and stories that do not exceed 1500 words. Personal narratives, short fiction, and work that includes some research with documentation will be allowed, but poetry and plays will not fit this category.
- Each student may submit up to two entries.
- Last year's first place winner is ineligible for the first place award in this year's contest.
- Entries will be judged for originality, interest, clarity, organization, development, correctness, and, where applicable, reasoning and use of evidence.
- Entries should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Ms. Balmer or Mr. Humphries. All emails should be sent as attachments in DOC, DOCX, or RTF file format.
- If you have any questions, please email Ms. Balmer and Mr. Humphries at the email@example.com address.
- Each entry must adhere to standard manuscript form (typed, double spaced, one-inch margins, a standard font). It should also have a title.
- The student’s name should appear ONLY on a cover sheet, which will be number-coded with the essay and removed before judging. The cover sheet should contain the following: Title of Essay, Name, Address, Telephone Number, plus the Statement “I certify the attached essay is my own original creation,” followed by the student’s signature.