Office of Admissions
Special Credit Enrollment
(Non-degree, diploma, or certificate seeking)
This classification will allow you to earn college credit by taking courses which you may later transfer into a degree or diploma program. It also allows you to not declare a major and to avoid some of the admissions procedures associated with other programs.
Financial Aid - Not an Option
Since special credit students do not have a declared major, they cannot qualify for financial aid or any Isothermal-administered scholarship. For more information on financial aid, please call 828-395-4198.
Graduation - Not an Option
Please be aware that you cannot graduate from any certificate, diploma, or degree program if you are a special credit student. To qualify for graduation you must declare a major with the Admissions Department, submit any missing documentation such as official high school or college transcripts, take or qualify to be waived from the placement test, and complete the application for graduation form (can be picked up in the Student Services Office in the Student Center).
Next Steps - For Classes with No Prerequisites
For classes with no prerequisites (nothing pre-required), please contact the Advising Center in the Student Services Building 828-395-1995 or email@example.com.
Next Steps - For Classes with Prerequisites
- If you want to take a class that requires high enough Compass test scores in English or math, please do one of the following:
- Contact the Testing Department to schedule a time to take the Compass test.
- Provide an official and sealed copy of Compass scores from another college that are no more than three (3) years old.
- Provide an official and sealed copy of another college’s transcript showing an English or math class with a grade of C or higher. Once this is received it will be evaluated by Isothermal Community College to determine whether or not a waiver can be offered. Please note that the transcript must come directly from the college where you actually took that English or math class and be mailed to Isothermal Community College, PO Box 804, Spindale, NC 28160 ATTN: Admissions.
- If you want to take a course that has another course as its prerequisite (eg., Psychology 241 pre-requires completion of Psychology 150) please do one of the following:
- If you took the prerequisite at ICC, then you can contact your division secretary to inquire about your next opportunity to register (see “Next Steps - For Classes with No Prerequisites” for secretary contact information).
- If you took the prerequisite at another college, you must have an official and sealed copy of a college transcript sent directly from the college where you actually took the prerequisite. It can be mailed to Isothermal Community College, PO Box 804, Spindale, NC 28160 ATTN: Admissions. Transfer credit to satisfy prerequisites will not be granted until official transcripts have been evaluated by ICC to confirm the prerequisite.
- If you took the prerequisite at Isothermal Community College before Fall 1997 (during the quarter system):
- Contact Vanessa Capps at 828-395-4201 to request that the over-ride of prerequisite paperwork be completed to allow registration.
For any other questions about your status as a special credit student, please contact Admissions at 828-395-1442