Medical Office Administration
Diploma and Certificate options are also available in Medical Office Administration.
Certificates are also available in the following tracks:
- Medical Coding - Gainful Employment Information
The Medical Office Administration curriculum prepares individuals for employment in medical and other health-care related offices. Coursework includes medical terminology, information systems, office management, medical coding, billing and insurance, legal and ethical issues, and formatting and word processing. Students will learn administrative and support functions and develop skills applicable in medical environments.
Graduates will be able to:
- Effectively communicate and interpret medical terminology in oral and written communications
- Understand and illustrate the importance of law and ethics in a healthcare setting
- Discuss various reimbursement methodologies and articulate how methods impact the medical practice
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of medical office computer systems, specifically practice management and electronic medical record software
- Demonstrate proficiency in office systems management
What fields or jobs are available for Medical Office Administration majors?
- Front office receptionist
- Medical Coder/Biller
- Medical Insurance Specialist
- Medical Office Assistant
- Medical Records Clerk
Who employs Medical Office Administration majors?
- Dental Practices
- Health Departments
- Home Health Agencies
- Insurance Companies
- Medical Supply companies
- Physician Practices
- Other Governmental Health Agencies and Programs
Skills or traits of a Medical Office Professional:
- Attention to detail
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Honesty and integrity
- Knowledge of medical terminology, information technology, coding, billing and insurance
Where do I find more information?
- Learning Support and Retention Counselor – 828-395-1436
• Assess your interest and abilities
- Business Sciences Department – 828-395-1670
- American Association of Medical Assistants: http://www.aama-ntl.org/
- American Academy of Professional Coders: http://www.aapc.com/
- Medical Transcription Advantage Career Center: http://www.mtacc.net/medicalofficecareers.php
- Medical Transcription: http://www.medicaltranscription.org/
- Also, check out related books in the Isothermal library