Applied Sciences and Technologies
Practical Nurse Education
Diploma of Applied Science in Practical Nurse Education is available in this curriculum.
The Practical Nurse Education curriculum prepares individuals with the knowledge and skills to provide nursing care to children and adults. Students will participate in assessment, planning, implementing, and evaluating nursing care.
Please refer to Health-Sciences Advising for program entry information.
Documents for review include: PNE Admission Applicant Packet, FAQ’s, program costs and PN Technical Standards and Essential Functions. Admission progression and graduation are contingent upon one’s ability to demonstrate the essential functions with or without reasonable accommodations.
Graduates will be able to:
- Protect clients and health care personnel from health and environmental hazards
- Provide nursing care for clients, incorporating knowledge of expected stages of growth and development and prevention and/or early detection of health problems
- Provide care that assists with promotion and support of the emotional, mental, and social well-being of clients
- Assist clients with the management of health alterations
- Recall and comprehend information and concepts foundational to quality nursing practice
- Apply the nursing process to delivery of client care
- Apply nursing knowledge to perinatal nursing care
What is the first step to becoming a Licensed Practical Nurse?
Students interested in the program will begin in Pre-Health Sciences in order to qualify to apply for admission into the Practical Nurse Program. After completion of the 1 year Practical Nurse Program, graduates are eligible to apply to take the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN). Successfully passing the NCLEX-PN provides graduates with a license to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN).
What fields or jobs are available for Practical Nurse Education majors?
- Home Health Nurse
- Office Nurse
- Staff Nurse
Who employs Practical Nurse Education majors?
- Rehabilitation/Long Term Care/Home Health facilities
- Physicians’ offices
- State Mental Health facilities
Where do I find more information?
- Health Sciences Advisor – 828-395-1621
• Pick up application packet
• Apply for admission
- PNE Director – 828-395-1446
• Apply for Advanced Placement
• Apply for LPN Refresher course
- Applied Sciences Department - 828-395-1441
- Learning Support and Retention - 828-395-1436
• Asses your interest and ability
- Also, check out related books in the Isothermal library
Dr. Deborah Wiltshire, EdD, RN
Dr. Kimberly Amos, PhD, RN
April Cline, PhD, RN